Gaming steering wheel Thrustmaster T248 in the test - better than the Logitech G920?

Thrustmaster brings with the T248 its first hybrid race wheel on the market. MeinMMO editor Patrick Freese shows you how the T248 beats in comparison to the G920, which innovations there are and for whom the steering wheel is worthwhile for a price of 350 €.

The essentials in brief:

The Thrustmaster T248 is a hybrid race wheel. Hybrid therefore, because it uses a mix of belt and gear mechanisms as a drive With a price of 350 € it should be the next step for gamer, which previously used a steering wheel of the entry-level class or a controller In the test, the steering wheel is well in the hand, the pedals can be done well and the combination offers a good, realistic driving experience There is also a vulnerability

Which steering wheel is? In the test, the new T248 from Thrustmaster, which appears in October 2021. A combination of racing steering wheel and a pedal unit. You can use it to your PS4, PS5 or on the PC to gamble racing games, simulators or other games.

How did I test? I played different games on the PC for a week with the T248. Project Cars 2, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and the bus simulator 2018. The assembly and installed no problem. I report here in the test from the point of view of a casual player. My first steering wheel, a Logitech G920, I bought myself this year and that was until then my most important gaming purchase 2021.

Features and technical details:

The Thrustmaster T248 in detail

I imagine the combination of steering wheel and pedals more closely. I m on the following aspects:

Scope of delivery Design Driving in practice

Then I show you how the steering wheel has beaten in the test and if I will sort out my relatively new Logitech G920 again.

Scope of delivery

What s in the package? In the large, blue package of Thrustmaster you will find

BEST RACING WHEEL (2021) FOR PC, PS4, PS5, & XBOX ONE | TOP RACING WHEELS 2021

the steering wheel the pedals A clamp for attaching the desk / cockpit A USB cable connected to the PC and the steering wheel A connecting cable between pedal and steering wheel Power cable + power adapter connected to socket and steering wheel An Allen key A pen for adjusting the pressure of the pedals Quick Start Guide (in German)

Design

How to see steering wheel and pedals? I do not want to go to the optics of the steering wheel here because the tastefully different is different.

For me, the steering wheel with its up to 25 action buttons a few keys has too much, I prefer to minimalist and do not use them all anyway. Since you could have done well to 5 of the keys.

On my Logitech G920, however, there are 15 buttons. And they can ever get scarce when I play games like the Euro Truck Simulator 2 games and thereby distributing windscreen wipers, engine brake, cruise control, turn signal and the control buttons. A sweet spot with 20 buttons would be cool here.

Since I prefer too many as too little buttons, the point goes to the T248 here.

The display: Whether a display on the steering wheel makes sense, I have not found out for me yet. My eyes are usually focused on the screen and the steering wheel I only succeed in the eye angle easily. So if it shows me with strokes, how high my speed is and signals me that I could switch, that can help. But I also see that, depending on the game, on the screen.

The speed indicator I never felt helpful on the steering wheel. The display for spectators in the room and in photos looks good. What is displayed on the display can be set using the associated button on the wheel. It should be noted at this point that so far only a few games support the display function of the T248 and Thrustmaster works to expand the list.

The display can also conveniently meet settings that you would otherwise have to regulate a software. Which platform you play is one of them.

The processing of the steering wheel: A large part of the steering wheel consists of plastic.

However, in the manufacture, care has taken care of using different colors and finishes, so that the wheel looks good and not cheap.

For comparison: Logitech puts more on metal and less plastic on the steering wheel.

The paddles: What I do not really like the T248 are the paddles. They are easy to reach and make the high and downshades super easy, but are terribly loud. And that s not Oh, I m so sensitive to my ears Laut. The parts are just not told, even with headset on the head.

This is reminiscent of playing again and again that you only hold a piece of hardware in your hands and not sits in the cockpit yourself.

Again more annoying is when you live together with other people. Because just drive a lap at night could get sensitive people out of sleep.

In addition, the shift levers are relatively short and of plastic. The Logitech G920 is about 2 cm longer, of thin metal and also significantly quieter.

The steering wheel base: The plastic base attaches you with an attachment and a screw mechanism at the table, cockpit or wherever you want to play with the steering wheel. Below the base (above the table top), the connections for electricity, pedals, external gear shift (if available) and the USB connection to the PC or the console are. For the cables there are extra guided tours that facilitate the cable management and provide a clean setup. Similarly, this also works at the Logitech G920.

On the next page I show you how the T248 beats through Thrustmaster in practice. Is the display really important and how good or annoying is the Force Feedback?

Comments

Popular Posts